The MAI designation is for a certified appraiser and member of the Appraisal Institute who has met strict testing, standards and experience requirements. Minimum requirements include:
- Meet the Standards and Ethics Requirements
- Complete an approved 4 year degree
- Pass all Appraisal Institute required exams including a comprehensive examination
- Complete 4,500 hours of specialized work
- Complete a demonstration appraisal report
- Submit application for review and approval
The Appraisal Institute is an industry governing body that helps standardize the appraisal process and uphold the highest ethical standards. Founded in 1991 by the merger of two earlier real estate groups, the legacy began in 1932 and continues to be the largest real estate appraisal and property analyst group in the country with a global membership from over 60 countries.
National Appraisal Partners, LLP supports the Appraisal Institute and their work to promote values and standards in the industry. Our firm leaders have served as officers in local chapters. Tom Stark, MAI has served on the national board of directors for the Appraisal Institute.